It was home…



Behind my home,
A pond was there.
This home was my nani’s place
And we spent every summer there.

A house, which was always big
Taking me in like a warm hug;
Where I spent days and nights
Reading book in an oil lamp light.

Running in a line with cousins
On path between the fields.
The glistening sun and a bright sky,
Carefree days and fearless nights.

Listening to the wind
Blowing through the trees
The chirping of the birds and
Cuckoos sing.
Today was always today;
Where was tomorrow!

The laughter of Maa and Maami,
floating out and keeping secure
The pond behind the house and
Thin path in front;
The ringing sound of Nana’s cycle
Coming from the fields.

The days lived and the nights slept,
Never knew that it was time’s might.
Slowly my ears heard the murmurings and not laughter
I saw doors getting closed
Not to be opened.

The withdrawn look on my Nani’s face
The broken lines and speechlessness on my Nana’s face.
The familiar parts of house becoming unfamiliar.
The known face but unknown expressions
Cautious talking and formal countenance
A hard exterior with hollow hearts.

Nana passed away and Nani followed
the home became a house
Which needed care and couldn’t care anymore.
Heard that the land around the house was being taken by Highway
Which passed through the field and the pond.

Strange desire to see the house again
As I was travelling on the highway
Which was on land where the pond was.
I stopped by; by the familiar white house.
Nana was not there to greet anymore
No one to sing the Mangala like before.

The house looked small and cold
It was steely silence left to behold.
The house greeted my husband
Who was intrigued by the building.

With familiar echo of the past,
The house was strange now, greeting the new arrived stranger.
I stood in the aangan, reminiscing the time lived there.
And realised the might of time
for the first time so far.
But to know it forever.

Reality was never realised
Unless and until it became dream and surreal.
People and their love
Which was lost on the way.
Home turned into a house
Which looked small and frail. 

Comments

Popular Posts